Sunday, November 15, 2009

Christmas Lights

My mom always loved the lights and decorations at Christmas time. We lived down a long private lane so she couldn't ever put up any outdoor decorations that would be enjoyed by anyone but her family and the infrequent visitor. I remember driving around at the Christmas season and she would point out the lights and ooh and ahh.

My mom isn't around to enjoy the lights this year. She passed away in August. Just like they always do, the Christmas lights have been coming up all over despite the fact that she isn't here to see them.

I drove down the driveway to her condo the other day. The light posts were decorated like candy canes. There were lights on the bushes and around the big gate. As I noticed the decorations I started talking to my mom. I told her the Christmas decorations were coming up and that she would really miss them. Her condominium was always decorated for the season and it looked especially nice this season. I felt a little desperate, She wouldn't be able to ooh and ahh. She would miss all the season has to offer.

While I was telling my mom about the decorations she would miss, I felt a strange feeling. Actually, I guess I can describe it as I knew something new. I knew that the decorations where she is far outweigh any decorations we have here.

The realization that heaven is decorated and that she is enjoying it, helped me understand that she is in a better place. It really exists and it's lovely. I can hardly wait to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment